LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College men's basketball team earned its first New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) win over the visiting Lynx of Lesley University in a Tuesday evening matchup inside the Leicester Gymnasium.
December 4, 2018
Score: Becker 74, Lesley 47
Records: Becker (2-5, 1-0 NECC), Lesley (0-6, 0-1 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker's Mateus Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) recorded his first collegiate double-double as he put up 12 points and 12 boards in the win. He also tacked on four assists in the win.
- Kareem Davis (Lowell, Mass.) scored a game-high 21 points while Dewayne Thomas (Lowell, Mass.) was close behind with 19. Davis marked a game-high five assists and five steals. Thomas had a game-high three blocks and two steals on the occasion with six rebounds.
- Jamir Carr (Philadelphia, Pa.) recorded 10 defensive rebounds and two assists for the Blue and Gray.
- Overall, the Hawks shot 45% from the field and just 13.3% from three-point range.
- The Hawks outrebounded the Lynx, 46-32.
- More then half of Becker's points were scored in the paint (46-of-74).
FOR THE LYNX
- Lesley's Treyvon Trent (Virginia Beach, Va.) scored a team-high 18 points in the setback.
- Joey Martin (Melbourne, Fla.) recorded 15 points and a team-high six rebounds.
- Chase Howard (San Diego, Calif.) chipped in six points on two trey's.
- Tristen Reese (Durhan, N.H.) logged the team's two blocks.
- The visitors shots just 30% from the field and 29.6% from three-point range.
- Lesley struggled at the free-throw line, shooting just 42.9% (3-7).
Becker's Thomas scored the first two buckets of the game, but Lesley's Chase responded with a triple to get within one. Becker then went on a 12-3 run and held a 15-6 advantage just under five minutes into the game. The Hawks kept increasing the lead and got the crowd roaring with a dunk on a put-back from Jordan Rose-Wheatley (New Bedford, Mass.) with just over six minutes left on the clock. The Hawks held a 19-point lead at the half. Becker saw as big as a 28-point lead in the second half and held off the Lynx for a 74-47 final score.
The Hawks are home for their next two games, hosting Brandeis on Thursday (Dec. 6) and Worcester State next Tuesday (Dec. 11). Lesley is also home for its next couple games, hosting Suffolk on Thursday (Dec. 6), Dean on Saturday (Dec. 8) and Anna Maria next Tuesday (Dec. 11).
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS