KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The Becker College baseball team swept the Spartans of D'Youville College by scores of 10-7 and 11-3 in a Thursday RussMatt Invitational doubleheader at Osceola Heritage Park.
March 15, 2019
Osceola Heritage Park
Records: Becker (3-7) | D'Youville (0-2)
GAME ONE: Becker 10, D'Youville 7
The Hawks topped the Spartans in game one as they came through with two runs each in the top of the sixth and seventh to pull away with a 10-7 win after the game had been tied at 6-6 at the end of the fourth.
Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) earned his first collegiate win on the mound. He pitched six innings and allowed seven runs (five earned) on five hits. He also struck out a career-high eight batters at the dish.
Becker quickly put two runs on the board in the top of the first. Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) and Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) reached base on singles. Hussey scored on a balk, and then Mazzone scored on an RBI single from Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.). D'Youville cut the Hawks lead in half when they scored one in the reverse side of the inning on an RBI groundout from Connor Truitt (Rochester, N.Y.).
Becker put up three runs on three hits in the top of the third, but D'Youville responded with two of their own on the bottom half of the inning. Becker's Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) hit a two-RBI double and Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) hit home the other Hawk run in the third. D'Youville's two runs came from an RBI walk from Alex Liem (Dorchester, Ont.) and a sacrifice fly from Truitt.
Cameron Plank (Marlborough, Mass.) led off the fourth inning with a double to left field. He advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt from Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) and then scored on sacrifice fly from Hussey to set the score at 6-3.
D'Youville knotted the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the fourth. A double and a single from Shane Critelli (Camden, N.Y.) and Devon Kelly (Rochester, N.Y.), respectively, paired with a walk for Dylan Haak (Depew, N.Y.) loaded the bases for the Spartans. A single up the middle from Justin Varney (Henrietta, N.Y.) sent one run home. The other two were sent home on grounders and a passed ball.
Becker broke the tie score in the top of the sixth with RBI from Hussey and Mazzone. Becker added two more runs in the top of the seventh on two-RBI single from Plank. D'Youville added one more run in the bottom of the seventh to finalize the score at 10-7 in favor of the Hawks.
- Hussey led the Hawks with the bats, going 3-for-3 with two runs two RBI. He also logged a sacrifice fly and swiped a base from the Spartans.
- Barrera went 2-for-2 on the day with one double, one run, one RBI and a walk.
- Rivera, Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) and Plank all had two hits in game one. Ventres and Plank each had two RBI in the win.
- D'Youville's five hits were distributed between five different players. Truitt had a team-high two RBI in the setback.
- Martinez earned the win on the mound for the Hawks, while Eric Trahan (Bristol, Conn.) pitched an inning of relief and did not allow a single hit.
- D'Youville's Adam Lampman (West Seneca, N.Y.) took the loss in a six-inning performance.
GAME TWO: Becker 11, D'Youville 3
The Hawks scored 11 runs on 11 hits and two Spartan errors to come away with the 11-3 win and sweep D'Youville.
Becker put one run up in the first on an RBI from Barrera and added another in the second on a sacrifice fly from Mel Gonzalez (Worcester, Mass.). They doubled their lead in the third inning on RBI from Rivera and Plank.
Following an unearned run from D'Youville in the top of the fourth, Becker put up four runs in the fourth to make it an 8-1 game. Becker's fourth inning featured singles from Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.), Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and Rivera. Hussey registered an RBI on a walk.
Becker slid another run in there during the bottom of the sixth inning when Santiago singled up the middle to plate Dewayne Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) who had reached on a walk.
D'Youville was able to score one run in the fourth and two in the fifth, but were unable to catch up to the Hawks, resulting in an 11-3 final.
- Becker's offense in game two was piloted by Rivera who went 3-for-4 with one run and three RBI.
- Plank, Santiago and McMahon all went 2-for-3 in the outing. Pollard and Gonzalez accounted for the other two Hawk hits.
- Jack Snyder (Shrewsbury, Mass.) earned his first win this season (second career). He went the distance, pitching all seven innings, and allowing three runs (one earned) on six hits. He struck out three Spartans at the plate.
- The Spartans six hits were conducted by Varney who went 2-for-4 from the dish. Liem logged D'Youville's two RBI.
- D'Youville's starting pitcher Bryce Little (Arcade, N.Y.) was tabbed with the loss in a four-inning performance. He allowed eight runs on six hits.
The Hawks will wrap up play in the Sunshine State tomorrow, as they will face SUNY-Poly in a 9:15 a.m. game at Osceola Heritage Park.