KISSIMMEE, Fla. – The Becker College baseball team wrapped up RussMatt Invitational play Saturday morning as they edged the Wildcats of SUNY-Poly by a score of 7-6.
March 16, 2019
Osceola Heritage Park
Score: Becker 7, SUNY-Poly 6
Records: Becker (4-7) | SUNY-Poly (2-9)
Both Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) and Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) had RBI doubles in the top of the first inning to put two Hawk runs on the board. In the bottom of the second inning, the Wildcats matched Becker's two runs on a balk and an RBI single from Sebastian Pannuto (New Paltz, N.Y.).
Following a hitless third inning on both sides of the dugout, Becker came through with four runs on four hits in the top of the fourth inning. Back-to-back singles from Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) and Bianco put runners on first and second. Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) was next to bat and scored both Barrera and Bianco on a double to right-center. Then, with two outs on the board, Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.) sent home Ventres on a double to right-center. Another run scored on an RBI single from Hussey to put the Hawks ahead 6-2.
SUNY-Poly scored one run in the bottom of the fifth on a Becker fielding error to set the score at 6-3. The Wildcats added another in the bottom of the seventh on a Dean Natalizio (Greenville, N.Y.) sacrifice fly to advance the score to 6-4.
Becker's Cameron Plank (Marlborough, Mass.) had an RBI in the top of the eighth inning, but the Wildcats responded with another with an RBI double from Conner Loveless (Cato, N.Y.) to progress the score to 7-5.
Despite two hits in the top of the ninth from Rivera and Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.), Becker was unable to add any insurance runs. Becker's closing pitcher, Devin Marcella (Torrington, Conn.) managed to force two quick groundouts to start the bottom of the ninth. However a walk and then a double from Jake LaFerriere (Troy, N.Y.) got the Wildcats within one run. LaFerriere, the potential game-tying run, stole third, but Santiago caught the next batter's fly out to right center for the final out, resulting in a 7-6 Hawk win.
- Becker's designated hitter, Bianco, went 2-for-2 on the day with one double, one walk, one run, and one RBI.
- Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.), Rivera, and Barrera all went 2-for-5 on the occasion.
- Ventres logged a team-high two RBI on his double.
- Diaz reached base twice – once on balls, and another on a hit.
- Rivera, Diaz and Plank all swiped bases from the Wildcats.
- Becker's relief pitcher, Diaz, earned his first win of the season in three innings pitched. He allowed one unearned run on four hits and struck out four batters. Marcella earned his first collegiate save in the win.
- The Wildcats' hitting leaders were LaFerrier and Dalton Earl (Woodhull, N.Y.) who had three and two hits, respectively.
- SUNY-Poly's starting pitcher Colin Nabinger (Afton, N.Y.) was tabbed with the loss.
Becker will head back north and will travel to Coast Guard on Thursday (Mar. 21) for a 3:30 p.m. game in New London, Conn.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS