NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Becker College baseball team fell to the Coast Guard Academy by a score of 17-3 Thursday afternoon as the Hawks allotted the Bears a season-high 20 hits in the setback.
March 21, 2019
Score: Coast Guard 17, Becker 3
Records: Coast Guard (6-4) | Becker (4-8)
The Bears got a pair of runs in the first on an RBI double by senior Jeremy Lhotka (Orange Park, Fla.) and an RBI single by Jon Pressley (Austin, Texas).
Becker got one back in the second without a hit as they took advantage of three walks, a hit batter and then Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch.
Coast Guard would get three in the third with Pressley having the only RBI hit in the inning, a single as the Bears took a 5-1 lead.
The Bears would break the game open with five in the sixth as they strung together seven consecutive two-out singles. Lhotka, Jake Behne (Clifton, Va.), Cody Fidler (Temple, Pa.), Trey Rittenhouse (Ellenwood, Ga.) and Nolan Johnson (Fredricksburg, Va.) all drove in runs with their base hits as Coast Guard took an 11-1 lead.
Becker put two more runs up in the seventh as Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch and Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) scored on a sacrifice fly from Ventres. Behne hit his first career homer, a three-run shot to left, in the seventh making the score 14-3 at the end of seven.
Three more Bear runs scored in the bottom of the eighth, resulting in a 17-3 final score.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) was 3-for-4 for Becker, accounting for three of the Hawks' eight hits.
- Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) recorded a double for the Hawks in the setback.
- Ventres logged the lone Becker RBI on the sacrifice fly in the seventh inning. He was the starting pitcher, and took the loss as he worked the first five innings and allowed six runs, four earned.
- Jack Snyder (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Tyler Kaye (Rockaway, N.J.) saw relief innings. Snyder allowed five runs on seven hits in 2/3 innings pitched. Kaye allowed six runs on three hits in 2 1/3 innings pitched.
FOR THE BEARS
- Presley had four hits while Will Stephens (Raleigh, N.C.) and Behne each added three hits.
- Pressley was 4-for-5 with two RBI.
- Freshmen Johnson and Fidler each added two hits and an RBI for the Bears.
- Freshman Connor Glynn (3-0) picked up his third win in relief this season as he threw three scoreless innings and allowed two hits did not walk a batter and fanned three.
The Becker baseball team will matchup against Worcester State on Saturday (Mar. 23) in an 11 a.m. game at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Coast Guard Sports Information