PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Despite recording a season-high 15 hits, three of which were home runs, the Becker College baseball team fell to the Anchormen of Rhode Island College by a score of 13-9 in a Thursday afternoon non-conference matchup.
March 28, 2019
Score: Rhode Island College 13, Becker 9
Records: Rhode Island College (11-4) | Becker (6-9)
Becker quickly scored three runs in the top of the first inning on a three-RBI homer from Will Negron (Bronx, N.Y.) – his first of the season. The Anchormen responded with two runs of their own on a sacrifice fly from Nick Feola (North Providence, R.I.) and an RBI double from Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, R.I.) in the reverse side of the inning.
Becker put up two more in the top of the second on RBI from Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.), but Rhode Island College matched that in the reverse side of the inning to keep the Hawks lead at just one.
The Anchormen's relief pitcher Colin Gauthier (Pawtucket, R.I.) came in with the bases loaded and no outs in the top of the third, but got a strikeout and induced a double-play to keep Becker scoreless in the frame.
Rhode Island College had a six-run third inning to pull ahead and take a 10-5 lead. Joseph Coro (North Providence, R.I.) hit a grand slam to put four runs up. Another two crossed the plate on a hit-by-pitch RBI and a sacrifice fly from Feola.
Becker put up four runs in the top of the fourth inning on two two-RBI homers from Rivera and Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), but the Hawks still trailed 10-9 at the end of four.
Rhode Island College's pitching staff held off the Hawks, and the Anchormen were able to score one run in the fifth off a solo shot from Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, R.I.) and two in the sixth on an RBI triple and single, to prevail 13-9.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks put up a season-high 15 hits in the setback, including three home runs from Negron, Rivera and Ventres.
- Ventres, Negron, Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.), Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) and McMahon all went 2-for-4 on the day.
- Ventres recorded his first career home run in the setback.
- Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) also had two hits for the Hawks.
- Negron and Rivera had a team-high three RBI while Ventres and McMahon accounted for the other two.
- Becker's starting pitcher Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) was tabbed with the loss as he allotted 10 runs, eight earned, on nine hits with one strikeout.
FOR THE ANCHORMEN
- Nate Vigeant (Coventry, R.I.) went 4-for-5 with two runs, two RBI and a walk for the Anchormen.
- Coro batted 3-for-4 while Calabro batted 3-for-5 with two doubles in the win.
- Coro posted a game-high four RBI and three runs.
- Josh Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) went 2-for-3 with a double, a triple, three runs, two RBI and a walk. He also swiped two bases from the Hawks.
- Feola logged two sacrifice flies for the hosts.
- Gauthier earned the win in relief as he pitched 2 2/3 innings. He allowed four runs on five hits. The Anchormen used four other pitchers on the occasion.
The Hawks open up conference play on Saturday (Mar. 30), hosting New England College in a doubleheader at Rochdale Park, starting at 12 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS