NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. – A four-run seventh inning pushed the AMCATS of Anna Maria past the Becker baseball team, as the Hawks were defeated by a score of 8-5 in a Wednesday non-conference matchup under the lights.
April 10, 2019
New England Baseball Complex
Score: Anna Maria 8, Becker 5
Records: Anna Maria (9-20) | Becker (9-15)
Anna Maria went ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the first on a Nick Genatossi (Sutton, Mass.) sacrifice fly RBI.
Becker matched that in the top of the third on a Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) sacrifice fly RBI. Anna Maria took back the lead in the flip side of the inning as Jackson Dobek (Natick, Mass) hit an RBI single to put the AMCATS ahead 2-1.
McMahon came through again with his second RBI of the game in the top of the fifth, plating Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) with his single up the middle, to knot the score at 2-2.
A four-run sixth inning for the AMCATS put them ahead for good. Another two runs in the bottom of the seventh gave Anna Maria a five-run lead following a Becker run in the seventh on a wild pitch.
Becker's rally fell short in the top of the ninth. Bases were loaded and two Hawk runs scored on hit-by-pitch RBI from Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) and Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.), but infield groundouts left three stranded on the bases.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker scored their five runs on five hits and two Anna Maria errors.
- McMahon led the Hawks, going 2-for-4 with one run and a game-high two RBI.
- The other three hits came from Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.), Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) and Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.).
- Rivera and Bianco accounted for the other two Hawk RBI.
- Pollard reached base twice on walks.
- Becker's Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) took the loss on the mound. He pitched 2 1/3 innings and allowed four runs, all unearned, on one hit. He walked three in his appearance.
FOR THE AMCATS
- The AMCATS put up eight runs on seven hits and three Becker errors.
- Dobek batted 2-for-2 with two runs, two walks and an RBI.
- Kosta Drosidis (Holden, Mass.) went 1-for-2 with one run, one walk and one RBI.
- Noah Holland (Sandwich, Mass.) led the AMCATS with a game-high two RBI.
The Hawks are on the road again tomorrow (Apr. 11), and will face the Judges of Brandeis in a 7 p.m. game in Waltham, Mass. Anna Maria's next game is on Saturday (Apr. 13) as they will host Colby-Sawyer in a conference doubleheader starting at 12 noon.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS