WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – The Becker College baseball team was held to two runs on four hits as the Eastern Connecticut Warriors put up 14 runs on 12 hits and two Hawk errors in a Wednesday evening non-conference game.
April 24, 2019
Score: Eastern Connecticut 14, Becker 2
Records: Eastern Connecticut (17-13) | Becker (11-22)
Eastern Connecticut took the first lead in the bottom of the second on an RBI single from William Coleman (Northford, Conn.).
Becker went ahead for the first time in the top of the third, scoring two runs on two hits and one Eastern Connecticut error. Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.) led off the third inning with a single to third base, and advanced to second on a fielding error. Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) and Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) both reached to load the bases. Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) hit home on run on a sacrifice fly to centerfield, and another run came in on a Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) sacrifice fly to right field.
A seven-run third inning for the Warriors put them ahead for good. The seven runs were scored on six hits. The half inning featured a two-run homer from Jake LeFevre (Mansfield Center, Conn.), an RBI double from Eric Jaillet (Ivoryton, Conn.), four Warrior singles, three walks and two wild pitches.
The Warriors added one in the fourth, one in the fifth, and then amassed four more runs in the seventh on two hits and two Becker errors.
Becker was only allotted one more hit in the game, which occurred in the ninth inning when Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) hit a single up the middle.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) batted 2-for-2 on the night.
- Mazzone and Ventres had the two RBI on sacrifice flies for the Hawks.
- Becker's starting pitcher Tyler Kaye (Rockaway, N.J.) took the loss in 2.2 innings pitched. He allowed eight runs on seven hits, walked three batters and struck out two.
FOR THE WARRIORS
- Coleman led the Warriors, batting 4-for-4 with one run and four RBI.
- Both LeFevre and Alex Parkos (Meriden, Conn.) went .500 on the night with two RBI each.
- Eastern Connecticut used five pitchers on the occasion. Relief pitcher John Parker (Brunswick, Maine) earned the win in two innings pitched. He allowed no hits and struck out four at the plate.
The Hawks will wrap up the regular season this weekend with New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) play. They will host Dean in a senior day doubleheader on Saturday, and then play in a twinbill against Lesley on Sunday at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS