LEICESTER, Mass. – Becker College's senior Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) helped the Hawks sweep the Bulldogs of Dean College Saturday afternoon with a walk-off home run in the 10th inning of game two, while also batting .500 (3-6) on the day with two homers, earning a save in game one, and going seven strong innings on the mound in game two.
April 27, 2019
Becker (13-22, 7-7 NECC)
Dean (11-25, 6-8 NECC)
Prior to the start of the game, Becker recognized its 2019 senior class for their commitment and dedication to the program and the Becker community as a whole. #10 Ventres, #12 Devin Marcella (Torrington, Conn.), #13 Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.), #19 Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.), #23 Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.), and #29 Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) were all recognized.
GAME ONE: Becker 7, Dean 5
The Hawks went ahead to win game two in the bottom of the sixth as they scored two runs on four hits. Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) earned his first collegiate win on the mound, while Ventres earned his second save of the season in the 7-5 win.
The Hawks attained a quick lead in the top of the first as the seniors came through with all five of the RBI. Barrera hit home Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) who reached on a single to lead off the inning, Ventres plated Diaz who reached on a walk, and then Bianco hit a three-run shot over the left field fence to give the Hawks a 5-0 advantage.
Dean responded with four runs in the top of the second, to make it a one-run game. The Bulldogs four runs were scored on five hits and one Becker fielding error. Bryce Reilly (Dover, N.H.) had an RBI single, Zachary Bochenek (Fredericksburg, Va.) had an RBI groundout and then Matthew Troy (Norwalk, Conn.) had a two-run double to centerfield to set the score at 5-4.
Following a hitless third inning, Dean tied the score up at four in the top of the fourth on a sacrifice fly from Andrew Dirito (Plymouth, Mass.).
It wasn't until the sixth inning that Becker took the lead again. With one out on the board, Bianco hit a three-run triple to centerfield and scored on a Dean throwing error to go up by one. Then, Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.) plated another run on a single up the middle for the 7-5 score.
Dean got a baserunner to third base with just one out on the board in the top of the seventh. However, a catch from Barrera and a strong throw from right field kept the runner at third. On the next play, Becker's Hussey and Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) worked to make the final out, as the Hawks prevailed 7-5.
- In one inning pitched, Musco did not allow one hit and struck out one Bulldog at the dish. Ventres the save as he closed out the game.
- Hussey led the Hawks with the bats, going 3-for-4 with one run.
- Bianco was Becker's team-leader in RBI with three. The senior went 2-for-3 with a triple, a home run and two runs in game one.
- Dean's Reilly reached base three times, as he went 2-for-3 with one run, one RBI and a walk.
- M. Troy also reached base three times, going 1-for-3 from the plate with one run, a team-high two RBI and two walks.
- Dean's pitcher Jason Bottone (Derby, Conn.) suffered the loss in a complete-game. He allowed seven runs on nine this and struck out six batters.
GAME TWO: Becker 5, Dean 4 – 10 inn.
Becker's Ventres hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to give the Hawks a sweep over Dean, after he had seven strong innings on the mound and went 2-for-5 from the plate with two homers in game two.
Each team scored one in the second inning. The Bulldogs scored on an RBI from Thomas Troy (Norwalk, Conn.), while the Hawks scored on a solo blast from Ventres.
Dean took back the lead in the fourth inning when they scored three runs on four hits and one Becker error. M. Troy and Dirito had two RBI in the inning.
Becker, once again, tied the game in the bottom of the sixth on a two-run double from Bianco and an RBI from Santiago. The Hawks won it in the 10th with Ventres' second homer of the game.
- Ventres logged two hits and scored three times for the Hawks.
- Ventres and Bianco each had two RBI in game two.
- Becker's six other hits were scattered amongst six players.
- Diaz earned the win on the mound in game two, going three innings and allowing just one hit. He struck out three Bulldogs in his appearance.
- Dean's Brian Hadden (Newburyport, Mass.) and Matt Callahan (Attleboro, Mass.) each had three hits for the visitors.
- Jeff Sharnick (Stratford, Conn.), Reilley, and Thomas Troy all had two hits each.
- Dean's Alex Belanger (Southbridge, Mass.) was tabbed the loss in 3-2/3 innings of relief.
The Hawks return to action tomorrow as they will matchup against Lesley in a doubleheader starting at 11 a.m. at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass. Dean will host Southern Vermont in a doubleheader tomorrow, starting at 9 a.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS