NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. – The Becker College baseball team wrapped up the regular season on Sunday, as they dropped a pair of close games to the Lynx of Lesley College in New England Collegiate College (NECC) action.
April 28, 2019
New England Baseball Complex
Becker (13-24, 7-9 NECC)
Lesley (11-23, 8-8 NECC)
GAME ONE: Lesley 10, Becker 9
The Hawks dropped game one of the day as Lesley came back from a three-run deficit, tied the game in the bottom of the sixth and scored one on a walk off single in the bottom of the seventh to prevail 10-9.
Lesley went ahead first in game one on a Jacob Cervantes (Ventura, Calif.) two-run single in the bottom of the second.
Becker came storming back in the top of the third when they scored six runs on five hits and one Lynx error. Two runs scored on a Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) double, another run scored on a Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) sacrifice fly, and then three came in on a Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) three-run homer.
The Lynx struck back in the bottom of the third when three runs crossed on an RBI walk for Zach Rossi (Shrewsbury, Mass.), a Cervantes RBI single and a Matt Bavaro (Sayville, N.Y.) RBI groundout. The Hawks held slim 6-5 lead at the end of three innings.
Each team scored in the fourth inning on RBI doubles from Becker's Ventres and Lesley's Ryan Pumphret (Shrewsbury, Mass.), to advance the score to 7-6.
A two-run homer from Rivera in the top of the sixth inning placed the Hawks further ahead at 9-6.
However, the Lynx tied up the game in the reverse side of the inning with three runs on three hits. Pumphret sent home on run on a double to right field, and then two more crossed on a Cervantes single to left field for the 9-9 score.
Following a 1-2-3 top of the seventh inning, Lesley loaded the bases on a walk, hit-by-pitch and a single from Javi Martinez (Chelsea, Mass.). Pumphret came through with his third hit of the day to plate the game-winning run for Lesley.
- Lesley's Pumphret and Cervantes both were perfect from the batter's box in game one. Pumphret went 3-for-3 with three runs, three RBI and two walks. Cervantes batted 4-for-4 with a game-high five RBI.
- Becker's Rivera batted 2-for-4 with a double and a homer, two runs, and a team-high four RBI.
- Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) reached base three times on two hits and a walk, and scored twice.
- Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) also had two hits each for the Hawks.
- Bianco went 1-for-2 from the dish with one run and three RBI.
- Becker's relief pitcher Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) took the loss on the mound in 1/3 innings pitched.
- Lesley's Colin Reed (Bedford, N.Y.) earned his second win on the mound in two innings pitched.
GAME TWO: Lesley 4, Becker 3 – 11 inn.
Coming off of an impressive first game of the day, Lesley's Cervantes won the game for the Lynx in the bottom of the 11th inning with a walk off single for the 4-3 win and the sweep of Becker.
Becker put up two runs in the top of the first on RBI from Barrera and McMahon. The Hawks added another in the top of the second on an RBI double from Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) to take a 3-0 lead.
Lesley slowly matched the three runs, scoring one in the third, one in the fourth, and another in the sixth. It wasn't until the 11th inning that either team would score again. Lesley was the first to do it in the bottom of the 11th when they pinch hit Cervantes, who was hot in game one. He came through with what Lesley needed, and hit the walk off single to complete the sweep.
- Cervantes won the game with the walk off, and also was the closing pitcher for the Lynx, earning his first win of the season on the mound in two innings pitched.
- Lesley was held to just seven hits in game two. Pumphret and Leo DiGuilio (Bradley Beach, N.J.) each had two for the Lynx.
- Becker's Ventres went 2-for-2 with two walks, while Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) also went 2-for-2 from the dish.
- Both Hussey and Barrera reached base three times on two hits and a walk.
- Becker's Martinez suffered his second loss of the day on the mound. In game two, he pitched 4-1/3 innings and allowed just one run on three hits.
- Tevon Johnson (New Bedford, Mass.) started on the mound for Becker and allowed three runs on four hits in six innings pitched. He struck out seven in his appearance.
The Hawks will await the NECC baseball tournament bracket, which will be released Monday (Apr. 29) afternoon.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS