AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Becker College baseball team's six fielding errors resulted in seven unearned runs, as the Hawks came up short in a 10-6 loss to the Olivet College Comets during Tuesday morning's play at the RussMatt Invitational.
March 10, 2020
Lake Myrtle #1
Score: Olivet 10, Becker 6
Records: Olivet (3-6) | Becker (2-6)
Becker's Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) plated the first run of the game in the bottom of the first on a sacrifice fly to right field.
The Hawks didn't hold the lead for long, as Olivet scored three runs on two hits and three errors in the top of the second. A two-RBI double from Matt Fisher (Bay City, Mich.) and a Becker fielding error gave the Comets a 3-1 advantage.
Three more Olivet runs came around in the top of the third, to extend their lead to 6-1. In the reverse side of the inning, Becker's Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.) had an RBI single up the middle to score Mazzone for the Hawks' second run of the game.
Following a scoreless fourth and fifth inning, one unearned Olivet run and two Becker unearned runs came across in the sixth to advance the score to 7-4.
Two Comet runs came in during the top of the seventh as Logan Sella (Essexville, Mich.) hit a two-run single to centerfield, and another came through in the eighth on a Becker fielding error.
Becker got within five in the bottom of the eighth as they scored two runs on one hit. Corey Shea (West Boylston, Mass.) hit an RBI single through the left side to plate Santiago, who reached on a walk. An RBI walk from Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) sent the score to 10-5. The Hawks only had one out on the board with bases loaded, but Matt Rehfeldt (Peotone, Ill.) came in to pitch for Olivet, and forced a fly out and ground out to end the inning with a 10-5 score.
Each team had one hit in the ninth, but the score remained at 10-5 for the final.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker's rookie pitcher Sean Flynn (Woonsocket, R.I.) was tabbed with the loss on the mound as he went seven innings and gave up nine runs (three earned) on 10 hits.
- Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) and Eric-Tyler Trahan (Bristol, Conn.) each made appearances on the mound.
- The Hawks' defense gave up a season-high six errors in today's game.
- Six Becker hits were distributed amongst six batters.
- Nick Gwaltney (North Kingstown, R.I.) and Zak Knowlton (Plainfield, Conn.) each registered their first collegiate hits.
- Rivera recorded a stolen base in the setback.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet's Drew Smith (Dexter, Mich.) earned the win on the mound as he allowed four runs (two unearned) on three hits and struck out five.
- The Comet's relief pitcher, Rehfeldt, was awarded the save in 1.2 innings pitched.
- The Olivet College baseball team swiped 14 bases from the Hawks – a program record-high. Brendan Settles (Battle Creek, Mich.) and Ty Metzger (Davison, Mich.) each had three for the Comets.
- Aaron Gillespie (Roseville, Mich.) batted 3-for-4 on the day with two runs and a double.
- Sella finished the day with two hits, a game-high three RBI, a sacrifice fly, and a stolen base.
The Hawks will travel to Sanford Memorial Stadium (1201 Mellonville Ave, Sanford, FL 32771) tomorrow for a twinbill against Ursinus, beginning at 10 a.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS