SANFORD, Fla. – The Becker College baseball team dropped two against the Bears of Ursinus College by scores of 5-2 and 12-3 on Wednesday.
March 11, 2020
Sanford Memorial Stadium
Records: Becker (2-8) | Ursinus (7-3)
GAME ONE: Ursinus 5, Becker 2
Each team had two hits in the first inning, but left runners on base to result in a nil score at the end of one. Ursinus' pitcher, Brady Antolick (Sugarloaf, Pa.), recorded six strikeouts in the first two innings.
Becker scored the first run of the game on a sacrifice fly from Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) in the top of the third, plating Rivera who reached base on an error.
Back-to-back homers from Connor Barrett (Cary, N.C.) and Dom Fiorentino (Ocean View, N.J.) in the bottom of the fifth gave the Bears the 2-1 lead.
The Hawks tied the score at 2-2 in the top of the sixth on an RBI groundout from Zak Knowlton (Plainfield, Conn.).
A three-run bottom of the sixth inning broke the tie score, as the Bears took the lead for good on two hits and two Becker College errors. With runners on first and third, Mike Stanziale (North Haledon, N.J.) hit a two-run double to right center, plating Tom Jacobs (Lincoln University, Pa.) and Jake Supran (Plainview, N.Y.) for the 4-2 lead. Another Ursinus run scored on a sacrifice fly from Barrett to bring the score to 5-2.
The bottom of the seventh inning featured a double from Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) but the Hawks were unable to score a run as three fly outs counted as the last outs of the game.
- Antolick earned his first win of the season on the mound, as he went the distance and allowed two runs (one unearned) on six hits. He struck out seven batters in his appearance.
- Ursinus' seven hits were split between seven batters, while Becker's six hits were scattered amongst six players.
- Stanziale led the Bears with two RBI, while Mazzone and Knowlton batted the two Hawks' runs in.
- Becker's Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) was tabbed with the loss in six innings pitched.
GAME TWO: Ursinus 12, Becker 3
The Ursinus Bears never trailed and poured in a combined eight runs in the fifth and sixth innings to win 12-3 in game two of the doubleheader.
Three Bear runs came in during the top of the first as Alex Mumme (Montgomery, N.J.) had a two-run homer, and Supran hit an RBI single up the middle. The Hawks scored one run in the flip side of the inning on a Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) RBI double.
Another Ursinus run came in on a solo homer from Florentin in the top of the second. Four runs came in during the fifth, and four in the sixth to give the Bears 12 runs.
Becker scored one run in the bottom of the fifth, and one in the bottom of the sixth to make the score 12-3.
- Becker's Mazzone and Jose Martinez (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico) both went 2-for3 in game two. Rivera also registered two hits for the Hawks.
- Becker's starting pitcher, Joey Rego (Rumford, R.I.), suffered his second loss of the season in a five-inning performance. He allowed eight runs on eight hits, walked three and struck out two.
- Ursinus' Supran went 3-for-4 from the plate with one RBI.
- Florentino, Scavone, Mumme, and Stinzaile each had two hits for the Bears. Mumme hit two homers in game two. He and Stanziale had four and three RBI, respectively.
- The Bears went 4-for-6 in stolen bases attempts.
- Starting pitcher, James Schuld (East Burnswick, N.J.) earned his second win of the season. In five innings pitched, he allowed three runs (one unearned) on seven hits, and struck out five.
The Hawks will conclude Florida play tomorrow (Mar. 12) and will take part in a twibill against Mount St. Joseph at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex in Auburndale, Fla.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS