WORCESTER, Mass. – Engineers senior Carly Cidado (Easton, Mass.) scored three goals for her first career hat trick, keeping WPI undefeated as the Engineers took down the Becker Hawks 6-0 on Friday evening in non-conference play.
September 27, 2019
Score: WPI 6 – Becker 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 4-4 | The WPI Engineers 9-0
The Engineers were on the board early with Cidado's first goal of the match at 2:40. Coming off a penalty corner, WPI's precision passing left Cidado with an open shot at goal, giving her team a 1-0 lead.
WPI took advantage of another penalty corner at 5:28. Junior Abby O'Sullivan (Walpole, Mass.) netted her team-leading 11th goal of the season on a deflection out front, giving the Engineers a 2-0 lead.
O'Sullivan's second quarter goal gives her 42 career goals and 15 career assists, making her the first 100 point scorer for the Engineers in 25 years.
Cicado struck again late in the first quarter to give WPI a 3-0 lead. Cidado benefitted from a rebound, firing past Becker's sophomore goalie Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y.).
The Engineers added one goal in each of the remaining three quarters for the 6-0 win. Cidado finished off her hat trick in the third on another rebound goal, giving her a career-high eight goals on the season.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Griese played 60 minutes for the Hawks, making nine saves on the evening. Griese moves to 4- this season after taking the loss.
- Freshman Kessa Vilnaigre (Brockton, Mass.) led the team with two shots with only one going on frame.
FOR THE ENGINEERS
- WPI continues its program-best start to a season, having won nine straight to begin the season.
- The streak is also the longest winning streak at any point in program history for the Engineers.
- O'Sullivan has scored in four straight games for WPI. In the Engineers nine games, they have outscored their opponents 47-4.
Becker turns the calendar to October and returns to action on Wednesday, Oct. 2 for a 3:00 p.m. game against Colby-Sawyer at Alumni Field. WPI looks for their 10th straight win as they have a week off, coming back to action on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 11:00 a.m. against Springfield on their Rooftop Field.