LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's basketball team won 85-79 over visiting Elms College on Wednesday evening in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester.
February 13, 2019
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Becker 85, Elms 79
Records: Becker (6-18, 5-10 NECC) | Elms (3-21, 2-13 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
• Senior guard Kareem Davis (Lowell, Mass. / St. John's), playing in the final regular season home game of his storied career, overcame a tough shooting night to lead Becker with 32 points, five rebounds, five assists and four steals. Davis shot an outstanding 19-of-22 from the free throw line, drawing foul after foul and scoring 21 points after halftime.
• Junior forward Antonio White Jr. (Middletown, Conn. / Middletown) stepped up with 15 points and eight rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Mateus Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil / Colegio Pedroso e Oliveira) came up with 15 points, pulled down four boards and dished out four assists.
• Freshman guard Jordan Rose-Wheatley (New Bedford, Mass. / Bridgton Academy) finished with 10 points and three blocks.
• Sophomore Jamir Carr (Philadelphia, Penn. / Universal Audenried) filled the stat-line with nine points, eight rebounds, five assists and two blocks.
FOR THE BLAZERS
• Freshman guard David Lopez Jr. (Willimantic, Conn. / Lyman Memorial) led five Blazers in double-figures with 27 points.
• Sophomore forward Nikolas Brown (Wellington, Fla. / Wellington) pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds and scored 12 points.
• Freshman guard Kewan Smoot (Windsor, Conn. / South Windsor) finished with 12 points and eight rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Andre Peguero (Boynton Beach, Fla. / Somerset Academy) posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
• The game was hotly contested throughout. Down by two with 2:26 remaining, the Hawks once again turned to Kareem Davis, who drew the foul and buried two free throws to tie it up at 74-74. White then took over, making three-of-four free throws and burying a three-pointer with 1:16 to go to put Becker up by four. Still down by four with time running out, the Blazers attempted a three with six seconds left. Davis pulled down the rebound, then buried two free throws to ice it.
SENIOR NIGHT – CONGRATULATIONS, KAREEM DAVIS!
Prior to the game, the Becker College athletics department and the men's basketball program recognized Davis as the sole outstanding senior of this year's team as part as Senior Day. Davis has spent the last four seasons establishing himself as one of the greatest student-athletes ever to take the court for the Hawks. In just his sophomore season, Davis was named the NECC Tournament Most Valuable Player as he led Becker to the 2017 NECC Championship and to the third NCAA berth in the history of the program. In his junior season, Davis helped the Hawks reach the conference finals, in the process earning All-NECC First Team honors and becoming the 19th player in the history of the Becker men's basketball team to reach 1000 career points. This season saw Davis pass former teammate Samuel Durodola to become Becker's all-time leading scorer for the NCAA era. Although his playing career may be coming to an end, he will forever be part of the Hawks family.
The Hawks will be back on the court on Saturday when they finish their regular season with a game at Newbury College in a 1:00 p.m. game. The Blazers travel to Eastern Nazarene College for their final game of the season, that coming on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics