LEICESTER, Mass. – Four Hawks finished with double-digit points as a balanced attack by the Becker Hawks led to a 66-56 victory over the Anna Maria AMCATS on Thursday night in non-conference play.
December 5, 2019
Score: Becker 66 – Anna Maria 56
Records: The Becker College Hawks 5-5 | The Anna Maria College AMCATS 1-7
An early 8-0 run for the Hawks opened up a 21-11 lead halfway through the first half. The Hawks would expand that led to as many as 13 in the first half as they hit halftime with a 35-23 lead.
Becker shot 59.3 percent in the opening 20 minutes while assisting on 12 of 16 made field goals in the half. Junior Mateus Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) led the Hawks with nine points.
The AMCATS made only nine shots in the opening half as Becker held them to 32.1 percent shooting despite 10 points for senior Bobby Perette (Marshfield, Mass.).
The Hawks continued to apply pressure in the second half, expanding their lead to 20 points, early in the second half, as they led 52-32.
Becker held the AMCATS at bay through much of the half, but an Anna Maria 10-0 run pulled them within eight with 5:09 remaining, as the AMCATS now trailed 57-49.
The Hawks steadied the ship thanks to an 8-1 run in the final minutes of the game to regain a double-digit lead over the AMCATS as the Hawks made it two wins in a row with their 66-56 win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Ribeiro led the Hawks with 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting. He grabbed nine rebounds to go with five assists in a full 40-minute effort.
- Juniors Guney Kilitcioglu (Istanbul, Turkey) and Jamir Carr (Philadelphia, Penn.) and sophomore Mekhi Chester (East Orange, N.J.) each scored in double-digits for the Hawks.
- Sophomore Jordan Rose-Wheatly (New Bedford, Mass.) pulled in a game and career-high 11 rebounds.
FOR THE AMCATS
- Perette led all scorers with 20 points on 8-of-19 shooting.
- Senior Mike Rapoza (Charlton, Mass.) had the game's only double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
The Hawks return to play on Dec. 10 with a non-conference road game at Bridgewater State with tip-off set for 7:30 p.m. The AMCATS are also back to action on Dec. 10 as they travel to Framingham State for a 6:00 p.m. tip.