BRIDGEWATER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's basketball team prevailed 82-72 at Bridgewater State on Tuesday evening at the Tinsley Center on the Bridgewater campus in Bridgewater.
December 10, 2019
Tinsley Center, Bridgewater, Mass.
Score: Becker 82, Bridgewater State 72
Records: The Hawks of Becker 6-5 | The Bears of Bridgewater 2-7
FOR THE HAWKS OF BECKER
- Becker junior forward Mateus Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil / Colegio Pedroso e Oliveira), last week's NECC Player of the Week and WACBA Player of the Week, continued his dominant play of late, scoring a career-high 23 points with nine rebounds, four assists and three steals. The third-year big man shot 50 percent from the floor.
- Sophomore guard Jordan Rose-Wheatley (New Bedford, Mass. / Bridgton Academy) scored a season-high 15 points to go along with five rebounds and three steals.
- Freshman forward Terrance Edwards (New Haven, Conn. / New Haven Academy) came off the bench to spark the Hawks in the first half, scoring 10 of his 12 points before the break. The rookie also chipped in four boards.
- Sophomore guard Mekhi Chester (East Orange, N.J. / East Orange Campus) finished with an efficient 11 points on only five field goal attempts.
- Junior forward Jamir Carr (Philadelphia, Penn. / Universal Audenried) filled the stat line with eight points, five rebounds, three assists and three blocks.
- The Hawks shot 18-of 22 from the free throw line, good for 81.8 percent, their highest percentage of the season.
FOR THE BEARS OF BRIDGEWATER STATE
- Bridgewater senior guard Ryan Carney (Easton, Mass. / Oliver Ames) lead the Bears with a game-high 26 points, including shooting three-of-six from behind the arc.
- Senior forward Dimitri St. Louis (Brockton, Mass. / Cardinal Spellman) posted a double-double with 16 points and 11 boards.
- Senior forward Rayshon Ward (Fayetteville, N.C. / Plymouth North (Mass.)) added 11 points and 12 rebounds in the effort.
- Becker was up 40-30 at the half only to watch Bridgewater State rally at the start of the second period, as the Bears went on a 12-2 run to pull to within two off a three from sophomore guard Alan Pettway (Worcester, Mass. / The MacDuffie School). The Hawks fought them off, however, extending their by as much as 15 with 6:38 to go after two free throws by Carr. Once again, the Bears rallied with a 15-4 run, cutting the lead to four with 2:58 remaining after a jumper by Ward. As they have all season, Becker turned to Ribeiro in a critical situation, as the junior hit a layup to finish a fast-break with 1:26 to go. Chester made four free throws in the final 30 seconds to put the game away.
The Hawks are back on the court on Saturday when they play host to the Maine Maritime Academy at 1:00 p.m. The Bears travel to MIT in their next contest, that coming on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics