QUINCY, Mass. – Lions senior Garrett Crandell (Bristol, Tenn.) scored a season-high 25 points on 10-of-14 shooting as the Eastern Nazarene Lions open New England Collegiate Conference play with a 78-64 win on Wednesday night against the Becker Hawks.
January 8, 2020
Lahue PE Center
Score: Eastern Nazarene 78 – Becker 64
Records: The Becker College Hawks 7-7 (0-1 NECC) | The Eastern Nazarene College Lions 5-8 (1-0 NECC)
In a close first half between the Hawks and Lions, it wasn't until a 15-5 run in the final 4:53 that Eastern Nazarene took their first substantial lead of the game. Crandell scored seven points in the 15-5 run on 3-of-3 shooting as Eastern Nazarene led 37-25 at the half.
The Lions led by as many as 19 early in the second half but Becker fought back with the help of an 11-3 run to cut the deficit to 58-51 with 5:22 remaining.
The seven-point deficit was as close as the Hawks would come as the Lions steadied themselves over the final five minutes, pulling away from Becker in the 78-64 win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Junior Guney Kilitcioglu (Istanbul, Turkey) shot 5-of-9 from the field, scoring a team-high 14 points.
- Junior Jamir Carr (Philadelphia, Pa.) played 30 minutes, scoring nine points to go with a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Junior Mateus Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) added nine points.
FOR THE LIONS
- Crandell added a team-high eight rebounds in 30 minutes.
- Seniors Josh Rice (Hanson, Mass.), Noah Cheney (Bend, Ore.), and Jacob Waldroop (Newland, N.C.) scored 17, 14, and 10, respectively.
- The Lions starting five of Crandell, Rice, Cheney, Waldroop, and senior Ricky Shearman (Acworth, Ga.) scored 73 of the Lions 78 points while combining to shoot 63.4 percent (26-of-41) from the floor.
The Hawks and Lions continue NECC play on Saturday afternoon. Becker hosts Dean at Leicester Gymnasium at 1:00 p.m. while Eastern Nazarene welcomes Elms to Lahue PE Center for a 3:00 p.m. tip.