BIDDEFORD, Maine – The No. 11 University of New England Nor'easters exploded for 10 goals in their home opener as they defeated the Becker Hawks 10-2 on Saturday night, sweeping the home-and-home series in Commonwealth Coast Conference play.
November 9, 2019
Harold Alfond Forum
Score: UNE 10 – Becker 2
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-3-0 (0-2-0 CCC) | The University of New England Nor'easters 2-1-0 (2-0-0 CCC)
Nor'easters sophomore Jimmy Elser (Verbank, N.Y.) started the scoring on the night with his first goal of the game and season.
UNE added two more goals in the first period by senior Ryan Burr (Toms River, N.J.) and freshman Jake Fuss (Fairfield, Conn.) to lead 3-0 at the first intermission.
Early in the second, junior Brett Mecrones (Medford, Mass.) gave the Nor'easters a 4-0 lead.
The Hawks got on the board at 5:27 of the second on a power-play goal by freshman Joshua Sanchez (Potsdam, N.Y.), cutting the deficit to 4-1.
UNE had the next three in the period, finishing the second with a 7-1 lead heading into the intermission.
Becker opened the scoring in the third on the Hawks second power-play goal of the night, this time from junior Phillip Garcia (Brooklyn, N.Y.).
But another three-goal period for UNE would cap off the offensive outburst in the 10-2 Nor'easters win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Sanchez's second period goal is the first of his career for the Hawks.
- The Garcia power-play goal is his first of the season.
FOR THE NOR'EASTERS
- Mecrones finished the night with one goal and three assists for UNE, his first career four-point game.
- Elser and Burr both had two goals for the Nor'easters in the victory.
- Junior Ben Churchfield (Newcastle, England) earned the win, making 11 saves to improve to 2-1-0 this season.
The Hawks return with a home-and-home series next Friday and Saturday with the No. 14 Curry Colonels. Becker starts on the road on Friday at 6:50 p.m. The Nor'easters have a home-and-home on Friday and Saturday with Wentworth, starting with hosting the Leopards at Alfond Forum on Friday at 7:00 p.m.