WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's ice hockey team picked up their first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) win of the season on Friday evening with a resounding 4-1 victory over visiting Western New England University at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
November 2, 2019
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester, Mass.
Score: Becker 4, WNE 1
Records: The Golden Bears of Western New England 1-4-1, 0-4-1 CCC | The Hawks of Becker 2-5, 1-4 CCC
- The Golden Bears wasted little time in striking first, as Western New England junior forward Nolan Zweep (Abbotsford, B.C. / Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL)) scored off a power play just 9:37 into the first period, assisted by senior forward Corey Kennedy (Clemmons, N.C. / Neumann University) and junior forward Luciano Bucci (Franklin Square, N.Y. / King's College), as the visitors took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
- The Hawks finally answered 9:04 into the second period when Becker freshman forward Ian Zaleski (Boise, Idaho / Helena Bighorns (NA3HL)) scored his second goal of the season off a power play, assisted by freshman forward Colby Audette (Colchester, Vt. / Lewiston-Auburn Nordiques (NA3HL)) and junior defender Phillip Garcia (Bronx, N.Y. / Finlandia). The score was knotted at 1-1.
- Becker took its first lead of the game with just six seconds remaining in the second period when sophomore forward Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn. / Connecticut Nighthawks (USPHL)) scored his fourth goal of the season as the Hawks went ahead 2-1. Diamond was assisted by Garcia and freshman forward Luke James (Moon Township, Pa. / Springfield Jr. Pics (USPHL)). The 2-1 advantage held up going into the second intermission.
- Diamond scored again 6:50 into the third period with his fifth goal of the season, tying for the team lead. Assists went to James and freshman forward Mikey Wilson (Alexandria, Va. / Springfield Jr. Pics (USPHL)) as Becker took a decisive 3-1 lead.
- Finally, with 54 seconds left in regulation, Diamond complete the hat trick with his third goal of the game, this one an unassisted empty-netter.
- Becker junior goalkeeper Zach Skop (Pittstown, N.J. / St. Thomas) got the start between the pipes, recording 26 stops on the day for the win.
- Western New England senior goalie Kyle Carducci (Rocky Hill, Conn. / Hartford Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) tallied 27 saves for the Golden Bears.
- The Hawks had a 31-27 advantage in shots on goal for the night.
The Hawks and Golden Bears are back on the ice on Saturday when Western New England hosts Becker in a 7:00 p.m. contest.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics