WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's ice hockey team scored three third period goals to prevail 5-2 over visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) on Saturday afternoon at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
December 7, 2019
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester, Mass.
Score: Becker 5, Wentworth 2
Records: The Leopards of Wentworth 4-6-1, 1-5-1 CCC | The Hawks of Becker 3-8, 2-5 CCC
- The Leopards scored first just 2:43 into the game when Wentworth freshman forward Kasey O'Brien (Stoneham, Mass. / Winchendon School) scored his first career goal, assisted by freshman forward Alec Taillon (Terrebonne, Que. / Cornwall Colts (CCHL)) and senior defenseman Connor Busch (Lake in the Hills, Ill. / Marian University (NCHA)). The visitors took a 1-0 lead.
- The Hawks found the equalizer 12:21 into the second period, as Becker freshman forward Colby Audette (Colchester, Vt. / Lewiston-Auburn Nordiques (NA3HL)) scored off a power play for his first career goal, assisted by freshman forward Josh Mead (Sparta, N.H. / New Jersey Hitmen (USPHL)) and junior defenseman Phillip Garcia (Bronx, N.Y. / Finlandia).
- The score remained tied at 1-1 for the next five minutes until Wentworth junior forward Brenden Lloyd (Merrick, N.Y. / East Coast Wizards (EHL)) scored on a power play at 17:22 for his fourth goal of the season, assisted by sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass. / Boston Bandits (NCDC)) and sophomore forward Joey O'Leary (Boston, Mass. / Kents Hill School) to regain the lead at 2-1.
- With just one second left in the second period and down a man, it would be the Hawks scoring a short-handed goal off the stick of Becker sophomore forward Jake Cagnina (South Berwick, Maine / Boston Jr. Rangers (EHL)), assisted by senior forward Alex Kielczewski (Grand Prairie, Texas / Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)). It was Cagnina's first goal of the season as the two teams entered the final period tied at 2-2.
- In the third period, it was all Hawks as the home team reeled off three unanswered goals. Mead got it going nine minutes into the third, assisted by Audette and sophomore defenseman Austin Wheatly (Castle Rock, Colo. / Boston Jr. Bandits (USPHL)). For the first time of the day, Becker had taken the lead, with the score 3-2.
- With 4:53 left in the game, Becker freshman forward Luke James (Moon Township, Pa. / Springfield Jr. Pics (USPHL)) scored to make it 4-2, assisted by sophomore forward Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn. / Connecticut Nighthawks (USPHL)).
- Finally, after the Leopards pulled their goalie, the Hawks would ice it on an empty-netter with 1:22 to go, courtesy of freshman forward Andrew Dreher (New York, N.Y. / New York Aviators (USPHL)), assisted by Wheatly and Kielczewski. Becker's 5-2 advantage would hold up for the final score.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Becker senior goalkeeper Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif. / Tri-City IceHawks (USPHL)) finished the day with 41 saves between the pipes to pick up the win.
- Wentworth sophomore goalie Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y. / Berkshire School) tallied 21 saves in net for the Leopards.
- Wentworth outshot Becker, 43-26.
The Hawks are back on the ice on Tuesday, January 7 when they travel to Framingham State for a 8:30 p.m. game. The Leopards play their next game on Friday, January 3 when they travel to Plattsburgh for a 7:00 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics