Bison Stampede Past Men's Lacrosse

Bison Stampede Past Men's Lacrosse

Leicester, Mass. – The Bison of Nichols College rumbled past the Hawks of Becker College 18-6 in non-conference men's lacrosse action Thursday afternoon at Alumni Field.

Nichols evened their record to 1-1, while the Becker fell to 0-2 on the season.

The Bison scored the first four goals of the game, three of them coming from freshman Michael Bane (North Grafton, Mass.). The Hawks finally answered back with 5:26 remaining in the first quarter when Jeff Petersen (Syracuse, N.Y.) scored an unassisted goal. Becker cut the Bison lead in half when Joe Ignagi (Kingston, Mass.) scored with a man advantage, making the score 4-2. With 1:28 remaining in the first quarter, Nichols junior Macauley Gillis (Northboro, Mass.) scored the second of his six goals on the day, increasing the Bison advantage to 5-2.

Bane opened the second quarter with his fourth goal of the afternoon, making the score 6-2. Becker made the game interesting when they received back to back goals from Stephen Elliott (Windsor, Conn.) and Alex Hurd (Chelmsford, Mass.), bringing the Hawks within two at 6-4.

The Hawks excitement was short lived as the Bison scored 11 unanswered goals, putting the game out of reach 17-4. The Hawks got two late goals from Matt Matson (Worcester, Mass.) and Jeff Petersen , but it was too little, too late.

Macauley Gillis led the Bison with a game high six goals and seven assists. Michael Bane chipped in with five goals and an assist, while Devan Maher (Leominster, Mass.) tallied a hat-trick. Nichols goalie Scott Gray (Annapolis, Md.) turned away 12 shots in three quarters of action. Matt McGue (Quincy, Mass.) played the final 15 minutes in net, making one save. Nichols returns to action on Saturday, March 10th when they conclude their three game road trip versus Salem State at 1:00pm

Becker goalie Michael Munoz (Avon, Conn.) made nine saves in the loss. Becker will get back to work on Wednesday, March 8th, when they travel to Salem State at 4:00pm.