NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Mariners of Mitchell College used a seven-goal third period to push past and defeat the Hawks of Becker College by a score of 16-7 in a Saturday afternoon New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) matchup.
April 20, 2019
Score: Mitchell 16, Becker 7
Records: Mitchell (4-8, 1-2 NECC) | Becker (0-10, 0-3 NECC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The game was close throughout the first half as neither side led by more than one. After an early goal by Mitchell's Kyle Marsh (Oakdale, Conn.), the Hawks responded with back-to-back tallies by Jack Schneider (Morrisville, Vt.) and Cameron Sangster (Columbus, Ohio) to take the lead by the end of the opening quarter.
Marsh scored twice during a 36-second stretch in the second period to put Mitchell back in front 4-3. Schneider tied the game with 3:07 left in the half, although Ethan LePain (Coventry, R.I.) scored in the final minute to give the Mariners a 5-4 lead at the break.
Mitchell outscored Becker 7-1 in the third quarter to take control of the game. Nick Loris (Fairfield, Conn.) netted three goals in the period while Brandon Snyder (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) added a pair, and the Mariners led 12-5 heading into the final stanza.
The Mariners added four more goals in the final quarter to seal the victory, their first conference win since the 2017 season. Goalie Marcel Quinlan (Uniondale, N.Y.) made eight saves while his counterpart, Daniel Whittenburg (Eastford, Conn.), recorded 18.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Schneider led Becker with a career-high five goals.
- Sangster added two tallies and a helper in the setback.
- Matthew Guerin (East Longmeadow, Mass.) also recorded a pair of assists for the Hawks.
- Nathan Cornejo (Douglas, Mass.) and Lewis Jaworski (Cambridge, Mass.) each had an assist for the Hawks.
- Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) had a team-high five ground balls.
- Jeffrey Schaeffer (Ambler, Pa.) and Devin Ramos (Warwick, R.I.) each won five faceoffs each. Mitchell Wilkins (Uxbridge, Mass.) went 2-for-2 from the faceoff circle.
FOR THE MARINERS
- Mitchell's Marsh scored a game-high five goals and added an assist in the win.
- The Mariners' freshmen also played a big role in the win, contributing 10 goals on the day led by four from Loris.
- Snyder contributed a hat-trick while LePain added two goals and Jake Karnes (Holbrook, N.Y.) chipped in one.
- Jade Shields (Hempstead, N.Y.) was active around the cage all game, finishing with a goal and a career-high five assists.
- Mitchell held a 43-28 edge in ground balls as Marsh led the charge with nine.
The Hawks will wrap up their season next Friday at Northern Vermont-Johnson.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Release Courtesy of Mitchell Sports Information