LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's lacrosse team lost their home season opener, 22-4, to the visiting team from the Maine Maritime Academy on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action at Alumni Field on the campus of Becker College in Leicester.
March 4, 2020
Alumni Field, Leicester, Mass.
Score: Maine Maritime Academy 22, Becker 4
Records: The Mariners of Maine Maritime 3-0, The Hawks of Becker 0-2
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker senior goalkeeper Trey McMillen (Grapevine, Texas / Grapevine) got the start between the pipes for the Hawks, tallying 13 saves in just 25:04 of playing time. Sophomore goalkeeper Daniel Whittenburg (Eastford, Conn. / Woodstock Academy) entered the game in relief, finishing with 14 stops.
- Becker junior midfielder Phil Garcia (Brooklyn, N.Y. / St. Joseph by the Sea) got Becker on the board with 16 seconds remaining in the second quarter, finding the back of the net off a pass from sophomore Cameron Sangster (Columbus, Ohio / Olentangy). It was Garcia's second career goal as a Hawk.
- Becker junior attacker Matt Guerin (East Longmeadow, Mass. / East Longmeadow) scored his first goal of the season with 9:23 left in the third quarter, assisted by senior midfielder Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif. / Royal).
- With 9:23 to go in the game, it would again be Sangster finding Garcia for his team-leading third goal of the season.
- Then with 3:41 to go in the game, Becker sophomore attacker Chris Bullock (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial) scored, again off a pass from Sangster. It was Sangster's third assist of the game.
- Becker junior defender Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I. / Coventry) added five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
FOR THE MARINERS OF MAINE MARITIME
- MMA sophomore Jayden Wilson (Lewiston, Maine / Lewiston) produced a dominant performance for the Mariners, scoring five goals all while dishing out nine assists and collecting six ground balls.
- MMA freshman attacker Jacob Belanger (Brunswick, Maine / Brunswick) was a force, scoring five goals with one assist.
- MMA junior attacker Sawyer Watson (Topsham, Maine / Mt. Ararat) contributed four goals and one assist.
- MMA freshman attacker Evan Golembeske (New Milford, Conn. / New Milford) posted a hat trick with three goals and an assist.
- MMA freshman attacker Caden White (Woodstock, Vt. / Woodstock Union) finished with two goals while assisting on two more.
- MMA sophomore midfielder Alex Snowman (Sarasota, Fla. / Sarasota Military Academy) chipped in with two goals.
- MMA junior attacker Zeke Tocci (Naples, Maine / Lake Region) assisted on three goals with two caused turnovers.
- MMA freshman Ian Haines (Cape Elizabeth, Maine / Cape Elizabeth) led the defensive effort for the Mariners, tallying a team-high 12 ground balls with four caused turnovers.
- MMA freshman goalkeeper Garrett Ruszkowski (Saugus, Mass. / Bishop Fenwick) picked up the win in net, recording three stops over three quarters.
The Hawks are back on the field on Saturday, March 7, when they travel to Rivier University for a 1:00 p.m. contest. The Mariners, meanwhile, travel to UMass Boston for their next contest, that also coming on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics