LEICESTER, Mass. – Lancers sophomores Laszlo Dorogi (West Boylston, Mass.) and Cyrus Raines (Belchertown, Mass.) each scored a pair of goals on the afternoon as the Worcester State Lancers defeated the Becker Hawks 6-0 on Thursday at Alumni Field.
October 10, 2019
Score: Worcester State 6 – Becker 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-11-1 | The Worcester State University Lancers 4-7
The Lancers struck for the first of their two goals in two minutes on a goal by Raines.
In the ninth minute, the Lancers drew a corner kick and on the take by Dorogi, an unguarded Raines fired a header past Hawks junior goalie Sam Majewski (Warren, Mass.) for a 1-0 lead.
Two minutes later, in the 11th, Worcester State freshman Hamza Shakir (Worcester, Mass.) doubled the lead on his second goal of the season.
Shakir controlled a pass by Dorogi just outside the Hawks penalty area, made an attacking move toward the goal and from 10 yards away, fired a toe ball shot over the shoulder of Majewski, taking the advantage to 2-0.
Raines and Dorogi connected again in the 23rd minute. Dorogi again triggered the play on a corner kick that found the head of Raines for his second of the game and a 3-0 edge.
Dorogi added his name to goal scorers in the 57th minute on a penalty kick for his first tally of the season.
After being fouled in the box, Dorogi took responsibility into his hands, firing a shot into the left-side netting to give the Lancers a 4-0 edge.
Dorogi added another in the 61st minute off a failed clearance and fortunate bounce in the Hawks penalty box that put Worcester State up 5-0.
Lancers sophomore Tomas Caneira (Dartmouth, Mass.) finished off the scoring with an 87th minute goal, ending the match at 6-0.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks finished with three shots on goal on the afternoon.
- Majewski made three saves but falls to 1-11-1 win the loss.
- Sophomore Tyler Marzocchi (North Providence, R.I.) played the final 45 minutes in goal for Becker, making two saves.
FOR THE LANCERS
- Dorogi finished with two goals, three assists, and seven points, all career-bests for Dorogi in a single match.
- The Lancers six-goal outburst is the most in a game all season and the most since a 6-0 vs. Elms on Sept. 21, 2016.
- Senior Henri Guilmette (Franklin, Mass.) moves to 4-7 this season, making three saves in the win.
The Hawks are on the road for New England Collegiate Conference play on Saturday at New England College at noon. The Lancers carry on with conference play on Saturday at noon, hosting MCLA at Coughlin Field.