LEICESTER, Mass. – A strong second half performance by the undefeated No. 2 Bowdoin Polar Bears helped them pull away from the Becker Hawks as Bowdoin outscored Becker 41-19 in the second half on the way to a 76-40 win on Monday night in non-conference play.
January 27, 2020
Score: No. 2 Bowdoin 76 – Becker 40
Records: The Becker College Hawks 6-12 | The Bowdoin College Polar Bears 19-0
The Polar Bears entered the third quarter leading 35-21, but a 13-1 run in the first 4:48 opened up a 48-22 lead. Bowdoin went on to outscore Becker 22-7 in the third quarter as they took a 57-28 lead, headed to the fourth.
Outscoring the Hawks 41-19 in the second half, the Polar Bears shot 43.8 percent from the floor and 75 percent from the foul line in the final 20 minutes in their 76-40 victory.
The Polar Bears opened the game making their first four baskets, including 3-for-3 from beyond the arc, as Bowdoin started the game with an 11-1 lead. Becker quickly pulled within five on back-to-back made shots by senior Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass.) but the Polar Bears would widen their lead through the rest of the quarter, leading 21-12 after one quarter.
In the second quarter, neither side made consecutive baskets until the end of the quarter with Bowdoin's juniors Moira Train (Cumberland, Maine) and Dorian Cohen (Wellesley, Mass.) making layups in the final two minutes. The lack of scoring runs on either side left the Polar Bears leading by 14 at half.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Ware and senior Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) each scored 10 points.
- Freshman Natasha Pacheco (Fairfax, Va.) added eight points and nine rebounds.
FOR THE POLAR BEARS
- Train led all scorers with 19 points in just 19 minutes. Train scored 11 of her 19 in the second half.
- Sophomore Sela Kay (Los Angeles, Calif.) scored 10 points with the help of 3-for-7 shooting from beyond the arc.
- Cohen, senior Maddie Hasson (South Portland, Maine), and junior Annie Mahar (Seattle, Wash.) chipped in eight points each.
The Hawks return on Thursday night with another non-conference game at Leicester Gymnasium as they welcome the University of St. Joseph (Conn.) for a 7:00 p.m. game. Meanwhile, the Polar Bears prepare for a battle of No. 1 vs. No. 2 as their New England Small College Athletic Conference foe and No. 1 team in the nation, Tufts University, travels to Bowdoin on Friday for a 7:00 p.m. tip in a battle of two undefeated teams.