LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's basketball team upset visiting top-ranked Eastern Nazarene College 70-58 In New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action on Saturday afternoon at the Leicester Gymnasium on the campus of Becker College in Leicester. The Lions had entered the game undefeated in conference play at 8-0.
February 2, 2020
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester, Mass.
Score: Becker 70, Eastern Nazarene 58
Records: The Hawks of Becker 8-12, 6-3 NECC | The Lions of Eastern Nazarene 15-2, 8-1 NECC
FOR THE HAWKS OF BECKER
- Becker senior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) led the Hawks with 20 points to go along with five steals and three rebounds.
- Freshman forward Natasha Pacheco (Fairfax, Va. / WT Woodson) was a dominant force in the paint, pulling down a career-high 20 rebounds to go along with seven points, four assists, three steals and a block.
- Senior forward Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass. / Quabbin Regional) scored 16 points and pulled down nine boards, shooting 50 percent from the floor.
- Sophomore guard Riley Berry (Margate, Fla. / Piper) exploded off the bench with 17 points, shooting 50 percent from behind the arc and 50 percent from the floor. Riley also dished out three assists.
- Junior guard Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I. / St. Mary Academy Bay View) dished out a game-high five assists and scoring ten points.
- The Hawks' defense held the Lions to a season-low 25.9 percent shooting, compared to 41.1 percent for Becker.
FOR THE LIONS OF EASTERN NAZARENE
- Eastern Nazarene senior forward Kyra Fleharty (Lewistown, Mont. / Fergus) led the Lions with a double-double, scoring 15 points with 12 rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
- Senior guard Jenn Burnham (West Valley City, Utah / Hunter) added 13 points and four boards.
- Sophomore forward Stevie Orton (Gilford, N.H. / Gilford) finished with 11 boards, seven points and four assists.
- Becker led 32-30 at the half, and trailed by one with 7:30 to go in the third after a three from Fleherty. But it was the Hawks pulling away in the final minutes of the third, as they got four points from Ware to take a 47-41 lead into the final quarter. The Lions came roaring back late, pulling to within one on a layup from Orton with 3:45 to go. But Becker exploded with an 8-0 run capped off with a layup from Harrison with 1:58 to go to take a 61-52 advantage. A 6-1 run by the Lions proved too little, too late as the Hawks made eight of ten free throws in the closing moments to ice it.
The Hawks are back on the court on Tuesday evening when they travel to Mitchell College for a 6:00 p.m. contest against the Mariners. The Lions, meanwhile, host the Lynx of Lesley University in their next game, that coming on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics