FRANKLIN, Mass. – Hawks senior Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) scored a game-high 28 points as strong play at the end of both halves helped the Becker Hawks to a 60-45 win over the Dean Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon in New England Collegiate Conference play.
February 15, 2020
Score: Becker 60 – Dean 45
Records: The Becker College Hawks 10-13 (8-4 NECC) | The Dean College Bulldogs 6-17 (5-8 NECC)
After an even 17-17 first quarter, the Hawks grabbed control of the first half in the second quarter, outscoring the Bulldogs 20-9 before halftime.
Becker started the second quarter with a 7-0 run in just 27 seconds to lead 24-17. The Hawks increased their lead to as many as 13 thanks to 3-for-3 shooting from beyond the arc by Harrison in the final 3:08 of the half, as the Hawks led 37-26 at halftime.
Harrison scored 20 points in the first half, matching a career-high for points scored in a half, a feat she's accomplished three times, once as a freshman against Mitchell and twice as a sophomore against Southern Vermont and Newbury.
The Bulldogs used perimeter shooting to fight back in the third quarter and cut the deficit to four after three-point shots made by sophomore Stephanie Conrad (Bedford, N.H.) and senior Taisha Alexandre (Quincy, Mass.).
Dean eventually had the deficit down to one possession with 2:20 remaining in the third, but the Hawks scored the final six points of the quarter on a three-pointer by sophomore Riley Berry (Margate, Fla.), a layup by senior Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass.), and a free throw by Harrison, as the Hawks led 48-39, headed to the fourth.
Dean got as close as seven in the final quarter, but a Becker 12-2 run shut down any chance of a comeback as Becker went on to win 60-45.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Harrison finished 10-for-24 from the floor, including four made three-point shots. She added six rebounds and three steals.
- Ware finished with 10 points in a 40-minute effort, adding six rebounds, four assists, three blocks, and two steals.
- Berry, junior Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I.), and freshman Natasha Pacheco (Fairfax, Va.) all had six points.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Freshman Alexah Potter (East Hartford, Conn.) finished with 14 points and 23 rebounds. Potter finished with 31 points and 25 rebounds in the other meeting of Dean and Becker this season; a 73-55 Hawks win.
- Sophomore Makayla Rudder (Springfield, Mass.) added 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Both sides face Mitchell in their next game. The Bulldogs travel to Mitchell on Tuesday for a 6:00 p.m. game while the Hawks wait for Thursday to face the Mariners at Mitchell at 6:00 p.m.