CANTON, N.Y. – Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass.) helped the Becker College women's ice hockey team to a 3-3 draw against SUNY-Canton Saturday, as she registered a goal and assisted the other two in the team's season finale.
February 16, 2019
Roos House Ice Arena
Score: Becker 3, SUNY-Canton 3 - OT
Records: Becker (4-17-4, 1-9-2 CHC) | SUNY-Canton (10-10-5, 5-5-2 CHC)
Senior forward Bailey Coons (Casper, Wyo.) gave the Hawks a 1-0 lead 8:07 into the first period on a helper from Conway. Late in the first, SUNY-Canton tied the game up as Ashley Gillies (Timmins, Ont.) scored on a power-play opportunity. Noelle Niemiec (Staten Island, N.Y.) and Micayla Macintyre (Fall River, Nova Scotia) assisted the Roos first goal of the game. SUNY-Canton held a 10-7 edge in shots in the first. The teams headed into the first intermission tied 1-1.
4:16 into the second period, Becker took the lead back as Conway setup Claudia Gee (Randolph, Vt.) for the 2-1 Hawk advantage. With just over a minute and half remaining in the second, Conway scored as defenders Nikolle Storey (Cumberland, Maine) and Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.) assisted the goal. Despite the two goals from Becker, SUNY-Canton held a 12-6 margin in shots. Becker went into the second break ahead 3-1.
SUNY-Canton cut the Hawks lead to just one 5:12 into the third period when Niemiec scored on a pass from Gillies. Becker held off SUNY-Canton for the next 14 minutes until the Roos took advantage with an extra skater on the ice, and Niemiec sent one home with 26 seconds on the clock to knot the score at 3-3. The Roos logged 14 shots in comparison to Becker's three in the third.
SUNY Canton fired off six shots in the overtime period, but Becker's senior goaltender, Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo.) turned all six away to preserve the tie
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Roos outshot Becker, 42-16 throughout the contest.
- SUNY-Canton won 44-of-75 (.587) faceoffs.
- Becker served 20 minutes on 10 infractions, while SUNY-Canton had eight penalty minutes on just four infractions.
- SUNY Canton went 2-for-10 on power plays, while Becker capitalized on 1-of-4.
- SUNY-Canton's Brooke Susac (Bowmanville, Ont.) stopped 13-of-16 Hawk shots on net.
- Johnson made 39 saves in the 65 minutes played. She finished the 2018-19 season with a 3-12-2 slate.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS