MIDDLETOWN, R.I. – The Salve Regina Seahawks took advantage of their special teams opportunities as two power play goals helped the Seahawks to a 3-1 victory over the Becker Hawks on Friday night in the Colonial Hockey Conference opener for both sides.
November 8, 2019
St. George's School Rink
Score: Salve Regina 3 – Becker 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-2-0 (0-1-0 CHC) | The Salve Regina University Seahawks 1-2-0 (1-0-0 CHC)
Seahawks senior Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) was first on the board, scoring her second goal of the season and the first power play goal of the night.
After holding the puck in on an offensive zone faceoff, sophomore Kimberly Dunn (Quincy, Mass.) slid a D-to-D pass across the blue line and Fantasia fired a wrist shot from 30 feet away in the high slot, beating Hawks freshman goalie Madelyn Morgan (Riverside, Calif.) on the glove side, giving Salve Regina a 1-0 lead.
The Seahawks doubled the lead in the second period on the first career goal for freshman Jillian Egan (Cranston, R.I.).
Salve Regina won a puck battle behind the Hawks net and a centering pass made it a virtual 3-on-0 for the Seahawks.
Dunn slid a pass to freshman Grace Schwartz (Brookfield, Wisc.) and her one-time was stopped on an impressive, desperation blocker save by Morgan, but the rebound found Egen alone in front as she slammed it home for a 2-0 lead.
The Salve Regina special teams struck again with 1:02 remaining in the second period.
Senior Maddy McCann (Westerly, R.I.) deflected a pass in the high-slot from Dunn that found the top corner of the goal to give Salve a 3-0 advantage.
The Hawks would get one back in the third period at 4:37 with freshman Cassidhe Wozniak (Turners Falls, Mass.) scoring her first career goal.
After winning a puck battle in the neutral zone, sophomore Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass.) found Wozniak, who took the puck over the blue line.
Wozniak deked past two defenders at the top of the zone and fired a shot past the glove side of Seahawks sophomore goalie Madison Jalbert (Beverly, Mass.), breaking up the shutout and pulling Becker to with two goals at 3-1.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Wozniak has two points on the season for the Hawks, having tallied an assist in Becker's last game.
- Conway is up to four points after the assist and has at least one point in each of the Hawks three games to start the year.
- Morgan came up with 28 saves on the night but falls to 1-1 with the loss.
FOR THE SEAHAWKS
- Dunn finished the night with three assists. It's the first points of her career having come into the night with no points from last season.
- Egan and McCann tallied their first goals of the season.
- Jalbert made 17 saves for the Seahawks, earning her first win of the season for Salve Regina.
Becker and Salve Regina finish off the home-and-home series tomorrow night as the Hawks host Salve at the Worcester Ice Center on Saturday night at 6:40 p.m.