BIDDEFORD, Maine – A late third period goal by the University of New England forced a 1-1 tie on Saturday night against the Becker Hawks in Colonial Hockey Conference play.
January 25, 2020
Harold Alfond Forum
Score: Becker 1 – UNE 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 6-10-1 (2-7-1 CHC) | The UNE Nor'easters 11-4-2 (6-2-2 CHC)
After a scoreless first period, the Hawks took a 1-0 lead on the seventh goal of the season by freshman Cassidhe Wozniak (Turners Falls, Mass.)
Wozniak found a pocket of space and fired a shot from the top of the right circle past Nor'easters junior goalie Julia Benjamin (Tolland, Conn.) to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.
In the Hawks goal, freshman Madelyn Morgan (Riverside, Calif.) was putting up a strong performance holding UNE off the board until 2:23 in the third on the game-tying goal by senior Marykate Drinkwater (Franklin, Mass.)
Nor'easters junior Jessie Scott (Barre, Vt.) forced a Hawks turnover and skated up ice on a 3-on-1. Scott slid a pass to her left to sophomore Bella Crugnale (Pittsburgh, Pa.), who fired on Morgan. The rebound spilled off Morgan's pads and Drinkwater, who drove to the front of the net, managed to get the heel of her stick on the rebound, pushing it just over the goal line to tie the game 1-1.
In the overtime session, UNE held the shot advantage 4-2 but had chances for a game-winner if not for blocked shots in the final seconds by Puumala and Kelly.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Wozniak's seventh goal of the season is tied with Puumala and sophomore Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass.) for most on the team.
- Kelly is up to 12 assists on the season and sits one-point shy of a program record for career points by a defender in program history.
- Morgan made 41 saves for the Hawks as the tie brings her to 4-3-1.
FOR THE NOR'EASTERS
- Drinkwater's tying goal gives her four goals on the season.
- Scott's assist on Drinkwater's goal is her fourth of the season, giving her a team-high 13 points.
- Benjamin made 20 stops and moves to 11-4-2 this season.
The Hawks are back with a home-and-home series on Friday and Saturday against Nichols. Becker travels to Nichols on Friday for a 3:40 p.m. game followed by a Saturday game at the Worcester Ice Center at 4:30 p.m. UNE goes out of conference as they travel to Colby College on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.