NORTH ADAMS, Mass. – The Becker Hawks and MCLA Trailblazers traded goals in a six-minute span as the two sides finished in a 1-1 draw on Tuesday afternoon in non-conference play.
September 24, 2019
Score: Becker 1 – MCLA 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 3-5-2 | The MCLA Trailblazers 1-6-1
After a scoreless first half, the Trailblazers broke through first in a match controlled by Becker for most of the match. In the 59th minute, junior Cetera Moore (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) struck for her third goal of the season.
MCLA drove the ball down the left-wing in the lead-up to Moore's goal. The Hawks failed to clear a cross from the left side and Moore fired a shot into the top left corner of the goal, giving MCLA a 1-0 lead.
The Hawks struck back six minutes later with senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.) tying the match 1-1.
The play started with junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.) dribbling past the MCLA defense down the left side and into the penalty area.
Kelley crossed to Teixeira at the top of the six-yard box and after one touch, Teixeira shot through the legs of the Trailblazers goalie for her team-leading seventh goal of the year.
Becker had their chances to walk out with the overtime winner, outshooting MCLA 7-0 in the final 20 minutes, but the Hawks were unable to capitalize on their opportunities.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker finished with 32 shots, including 20 shots on goal, both season-highs.
- Freshman Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) got her eighth consecutive start, finishing with four saves and moving to 1-4-2 this season.
- The 32 shots total are the most for the Hawks in a match since Oct. 6 of last season against Newbury.
FOR THE TRAILBLAZERS
- MCLA freshman Natalia Gerena (Troy, N.Y.) was credited with an assist on the Trailblazers goal, the first assist of her career.
- Trailblazers senior Megan Richardson (Adams, Mass.) finished with a season-high 19 saves.
Becker heads for New England Collegiate Conference play in their next match. The Hawks travel to Eastern Nazarene on Monday, Sept. 30 for a 7:00 p.m. match. MCLA faces Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference foe Fitchburg State on Saturday at 5:00 p.m.