QUINCY, Mass. – The Becker Hawks finished off September on the right foot, grabbing their first New England Collegiate Conference win of the season via a 3-0 victory at Eastern Nazarene on Monday night.
September 30, 2019
Veteran's Memorial Stadium
Score: Becker 3 – Eastern Nazarene 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 4-5-2 (1-1 NECC) | The Eastern Nazarene College Lions 1-7-1 (0-2-0 NECC)
It took five minutes for the Hawks to break the ice with junior Chelsea Sedar (Bridgewater, Mass.) scoring her second goal of the season.
After causing a turnover by ENC, sophomore Kristen Beidleman (Holliston, Mass.) slid a pass to Sedar at the top-right corner of the penalty area.
Sedar's shot sailed over the head of the goalie and off the far post and into the net, giving Becker the 1-0 advantage.
The Hawks doubled their advantage in the 23rd minute on a goal by senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.).
Coming down the left side junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.) served a cross to the top of the six-yard box. Teixeira redirected the cross into the top of the net for her team-leading eighth goal of the season and a 2-0 lead.
Becker added insurance in the 83rd minute on the first goal of the career for sophomore Mariposa Nash-Gibney (Burlington, Vt.).
The goal originated off a corner kick and with a failed clearance by ENC, the ball bounced favorably for Nash-Gibney, who fired a past a maze of four Lions defenders, giving the Hawks a 3-0 lead.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Sedar's goal is the first game-winner for her in 2019.
- In addition to Teixeira's team-leading eighth goal, she leads the team in points with 17.
- Kelley's assist gives her a team-high three this season.
- Freshman Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) earned her first career shutout, making one save on the evening and improving to 2-5-2 this season
FOR THE LIONS
- Junior Sam Bernardi (Longmeadow, Mass.) was credited with the lone Lions shot on goal.
- Senior Griselda Minchaca (Whittier, Calif.) made seven saves but falls to 0-6 with the loss.
After a five-game road trip, the Hawks return home for a Thursday afternoon match against Fisher at 3:00 p.m. on Alumni Field. The Lions are playing through a five-game homestand and welcome Mitchell to Veterans Memorial on Saturday for a 4:00 p.m. match.