HENNIKER, N.H. – Pilgrims freshman Kayla Paquin (Pembroke, N.H.) broke a scoreless tie with just over 10 minutes remaining, scoring the game's lone goal as New England College Pilgrims defeated the Becker College Hawks, 1-0, on Saturday afternoon in New England Collegiate Conference play.
October 12, 2019
Don Melander Field
Score: New England College 1 – Becker 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 7-6-2 (2-2 NECC) | The New England College Pilgrims 6-6-1 (3-0-1 NECC)
The 79th-minute goal originated in the midfield on a loose ball that was picked up by Pilgrims junior Leeann Demirjan (Needham, Mass.).
Demirjan gathered the ball in the midfield center arc and began driving toward the Hawks defensive third.
She settled for a pass to the right-wing to Paquin and after a few dribbles toward the end line, Paquin sent in what appeared to be a cross intended for one of her two Pilgrim teammates waiting near goal.
But the would-be cross headed for goal instead and the newly established shot from the right-wing, flew over the head of Hawks freshman goalie Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) and into the far side netting, giving the Pilgrims a 1-0 lead.
The Hawks had a fair share of the chances early in the match, recording four of the game's first shots, including two that were on frame.
The Pilgrims had a chance to go ahead in the 42nd minute, drawing a penalty kick for senior Molly Bieksha (Norton, Mass.).
Bieksha fired a right-footed shot, looking for the top-left corner of the goal, but her attempt cleared the crossbar, keeping the match scoreless.
One of Becker's final chances came in the 83rd minute on a corner kick by sophomore Alana Garofalo (Berlin, Conn.) but the header by senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.) rolled past the near-side post, ending the threat as New England College saw the game out to a one-goal victory.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks finished with four shots on goal, led by sophomore Kristen Beidleman (Holliston, Mass.), who finished with two.
- Sherwood's shutout streak of 490:10 ended with Paquin's goal. It's the first goal surrendered by the Hawks in all of October.
- Sherwood falls to 5-5-2 with the loss while making five saves.
FOR THE PILGRIMS
- Paquin earns the first game-winning goal of her career in the victory.
- She now has at least a point in the Pilgrims last three matches.
- Sophomore goalie Allie Stoddart (Charlestown, N.H.) made four saves in the win, improving to 5-3 with her third shutout this season.
The Hawks return to action on Thursday as they travel to Salve Regina for a 3:30 p.m. match against the Seahawks. New England College gets another tough test on Wednesday, facing the conference's top team Lesley University at Don Melander Field at 7:00 p.m.