NEW LONDON, Conn. – Hawks senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.) scored a pair of first half goals and added an assist as the Becker Hawks won their third straight game in a 5-0 victory over the Mitchell Mariners on Tuesday afternoon in New England Collegiate Conference play.
October 22, 2019
Score: Becker 5 – Mitchell 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 10-6-2 (4-2 NECC) | The Mitchell College Mariners 4-10 (0-5 NECC)
Teixeira broke the ice in the 18th minute with her first goal of the game, giving the Hawks a 1-0 lead.
Ten minutes later, in the 28th minute, sophomore Kristen Beidleman (Holliston, Mass.) scored her third goal of the season, doubling the Hawks lead to 2-0.
Teixeira struck again late in the first half with her second of the game in the 42nd minute to boost the Hawks edge to 3-0.
Hawks junior Chelsea Sedar (Bridgewater, Mass.) got her fourth goal of the season in the 62nd minute to move Becker ahead by four.
Only a minute later, junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.) found her way to the scoresheet, scoring her fifth of the season, finishing off the scoring for Becker in the 5-0 win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Teixeira's brace gives her 17 goals on the season. It's also the fifth game this season that Teixeira has scored at least two goals in a game.
- The Hawks have won three in a row, all with clean sheets. They're 7-1 in their last eight matches, outscoring opponents 26-1 in those eight matches.
- Freshman goalie Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) and sophomore goalie Lyndsey Cobb-Wilkins (Elmira, N.Y.) each played a half, making two saves and one save, respectively.
- Sherwood took credit for the win, moving to 6-5-2 on the year.
FOR THE MARINERS
- The Mariners finished with three shots on goal on the afternoon.
- Mariners freshman Yordi Slover (Westhampton, N.Y.) made four saves for Mitchell but moves to 2-9 with the loss.
Becker comes home for their next match, facing Elms in an NECC match on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. The Mariners press on with a Saturday match as they host Lesley in conference play at 2:00 p.m. For the Hawks, Saturday morning is scheduled to be Senior Day for the women's soccer program.