CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Lynx junior Alexandria Torres (Dixon, Calif.) scored a pair of goals, including one early in the second half that broke a 1-1 tie as the Lesley Lynx are heading back to the New England Collegiate Conference Championship Game thanks to a 2-1 win over the Becker Hawks on Wednesday night.
November 6, 2019
Franke Field at BB&N
Score: Lesley 2 – Becker 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 12-8-2 | The Lesley University Lynx 14-3-1
In the 52nd minute, Torres scored the eventual game-winning goal, her second of the match and team-high ninth of the season.
Lesley controlled a loose ball in their offensive third of the field and a series of connective passes would find sophomore Chloe Kouyoumdjian (La Canada, Calif.) at the top right corner of the penalty area.
After a quick look, Kouyoumdjian slid a pass inside near the penalty spot and despite defenders surrounding her, Torres fired a one-time shot into the back of the net, breaking the 1-1 tie to give the Lynx a 2-1 lead.
Torres started the scoring in the ninth minute with the help of a cross from the left wing by sophomore Kerrie Larson (Bristol, R.I.).
Larson's cross bounced near the top of the Hawks penalty area and Torres was able to get her head on the ball before Hawks freshman goalie Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) could get a hand on it. The header coasted over the outstretched arms of Sherwood and rolled safely into the net for a 1-0 lead.
The Hawks answered in the final minutes of the first half on a 44th minute goal by sophomore Alana Garofalo (Berlin, Conn.).
The Hawks drew a free kick on the left wing of their offensive third and Garofalo sent a cross into the box that found its way over the head of Lynx senior goalie Brittley Gaan (Bellevue, Wash.) and into the far side netting, tying the match at 1-1.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Garofalo's goal was her first of the postseason and her third overall of the year.
- Garofalo led the Hawks with two shots on goal. Junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.) and sophomore Hannah Trottier (Douglas, Mass.) each finished with one shot on goal.
- Sherwood made seven saves and finishes the season at 8-7-2 in her first season with the Hawks.
FOR THE LYNX
- It's the third multi-goal game of the season for Torres, who joined the Lynx this season.
- The Larson and Kouyoumdjian assists move them to seven and six, respectively, on the season. Leading the team and second-most on the Lynx, respectively.
- Gaan made three saves for Lesley and heads to the Championship Game at 6-3-1.
The Lesley Lynx look to defend their NECC Championship on Sunday afternoon at Franke Field and they'll play host to the No. 2 Elms Blazers in the Championship Match. The Blazers defeated the Lynx in the regular season, 3-1, a win that broke a 25-game winning streak for the Lynx against NECC opponents, including playoffs. For the Hawks, their season comes to an end at 12-8-2. Becker's 12-win season is the best since 2015.