LEICESTER, Mass. – The Hawks of Becker College moved above .500 with a 3-1 (25-16, 22-25, 25-20, 25-14) victory over the visiting Bison of Nichols College in a Thursday evening non-conference matchup inside the Leicester Gymnasium.
October 11, 2018
Score: Becker 3, Nichols 1
Records: Becker (8-7) | Nichols (4-15)
The first set began with back-and-forth play, until the set saw its last tie at 14-14. Becker's Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J.) gave the Hawks a 15-14 lead on a kill, and then the Hawks never looked back. The Hawks then went on a 9-1 run and put the game out of reach for the Bison. Becker prevailed 25-16 for the first set win of the night, as the Hawks held a 12-5 margin in kills.
Nichols took the first lead of the second set on a Jayleen Fegan (Mansfield Center, Conn.) ace. The Bison held the lead until Becker tied it with a Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) ace to put the score at 5-5. The teams tied again at 6-6, but Becker went on a 6-1 run to go ahead 11-7. Nichols rallied back and knotted the score at 12-12 on a Megan Gardner (South Deerfield, Mass.) kill. Neither team held a lead of two-or-more for the remainder of the set, until the end when Nichols concluded with three consecutive points from Gardner, Sophie Czerpica (Malden, Mass.), and Shannon Anthony (South Windsor, Conn.) to earn the 25-22 set win.
Each team saw the lead in the third set, but Nichols pushed ahead and held a nine-point lead succeeding a 7-0 run with Gardner at the service. Becker responded with six consecutive points - three of which came from Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass.) - to bring the game within three. The Hawks took the lead with a 9-1 run and held on for the remainder of the set to capture a 25-20 win.
The lone lead Nichols saw in the fourth set was the first point on a kill from Moriah Burns (Holland, Mass.). Becker's Cullina assisted the Hawks in attaining a 10-point lead with a kill and three service aces in the spurt. The Hawks held the 10-point margin and won the final set of the evening 25-14 on a Yesenia Aviles (Southbridge, Mass.) ace.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Olivia McGuinness (Colchester, Conn.) finished the game with a double-double of 32 assists and 10 digs for Becker.
- Becker's point leader was Dupree who scored 15 on seven kills, three service aces, thee solo blocks, and four block assists. Gould and Cullina followed with 13.5 and 13 points, respectively.
- Gould was the match-leader in kills (9) while Cullina recorded a match-high five service aces.
- Nichols' attack was led by Anthony and Gardner who had eight and seven kills, respectively. Gardner assisted 23 kills and also notched a team-high three service aces.
- Leading each team in digs was Nichols' Fegan (33) and Becker's Joanna Bampi (34).
- The Hawks' attack percentage was .139 (40-151), while Nichols stood .048 (36-166).
- As a team, Becker logged 14 service aces and seven blocks, in comparison to the Bison eight and two, respectively.
- Becker is 3-1 all-time against Nichols, who started the volleyball program in 2016.
The Hawks wrap up the week at Mitchell on Saturday (Oct. 13). The game is scheduled for an 11 a.m. start in New London, Conn. The Bison are also on the road as they head to Wentworth for an 11 a.m. league game on the same date.