LEICESTER, Mass. --- Senior middle blocker Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J. / Bronx High School of Science) tallied 12 kills on .421 hitting as the Becker College women's volleyball team swept visiting Newbury College in straight sets on Tuesday night at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester.
October 23, 2018
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Becker 3, Newbury 0 (25-23, 25-8, 26-24)
Records: Becker (11-9, 5-4 NECC) | Newbury (2-16, 0-8 NECC)
• Dupree had her best hitting performance for a match since Becker's September 6th victory over Fitchburg State. The senior also posted a service ace with three digs.
• Becker junior outside hitter Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn. / Valley Regional) also finished with a strong display, with nine kills, ten digs and two service aces. Becker's all-time leader in career digs is just 19 short of the storied 1000
• Becker freshman libero Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans Memorial) finished with a team-high 21 digs on the night to lead the defensive effort.
• Newbury sophomore outside hitter Monica Bolduk (Vernon, Conn. / Rockville) led the Nighthawks with 11 kills and five digs.
• Collectively, the Hawks out-hit the Nighthawks, .235 to .043
• In the first set, Becker took a 21-15 lead off the serve of junior right-side hitter Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass. / Tri-County). Newbury fought back, however, pulling to within one. But in the end, the Hawks held on to go up one set to none.
• After an easy Becker win in the second set, Newbury came to play in the third, briefly leading and tying it up at 16-16 off an ace from sophomore middle blocker Ruby Bryant (New Haven, Conn. / Eli Whitney Tech). The Nighthawks tied it again at 24-24 and had the serve, but the Hawks pulled it out with kills from sophomore outside hitter Emily Peterman (Vancouver, Wash. / Home schooled) and junior middle blocker Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md. / Bohemia Manor).
The Hawks play the final home match of the season on Thursday when they host Suffolk University at 7:00 p.m. Becker will be recognizing their senior class prior to the match as part of Senior Night. The Nighthawks host Framingham State in their next contest, also on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics