LEICESTER, Mass. --- Senior right-side Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass. / Tri-County) hit .327 with 31.5 point over nine sets as the Becker College women's volleyball team opened their 2019 season with two victories in their home tri-match against visiting Mount Holyoke College and Bridgewater State University on Saturday afternoon at the Leicester Gymnasium.
August 31, 2019
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Match 1 - Score: Becker 3, Mount Holyoke 2 (25-19, 21-25, 21-25, 25-17, 15-6)
Match 2 – Score: Becker 3, Bridgewater State 1 (17-25, 25-15, 25-21, 25-14)
Records: Becker 2-0 | Bridgewater State 1-1 | Mount Holyoke 0-2
FOR THE HAWKS
- Gould played well against the Lyons in the opener, leading the Hawks with four service aces to go along with seven kills, 14 digs and two block assists. The senior team captain held serve in the last five points in the first set, then late in the fifth helped Becker reel off six straight points off her serve to help put the match away. Gould truly shined against the Bears in the second match, hitting .519 with a team-high 15 kills and four service aces. She also posted 23 digs on the day.
- Freshman outside hitter Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass. / Essex Tech) had a sensational debut again Mount Holyoke, hitting .522 with 14 kills and eight digs. For the day, the rookie led the Hawks with 3.00 kills per set and a .377 hitting percentage.
- Sophomore libero Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass. / Peabody Veterans Memorial), a 2018 New England Collegiate All-Conference selection, led the Becker defense, with 4.22 digs per set. She also chipped in five service aces on the day.
- Senior middle-blocker Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md. / Bohemia Manor) added 11 kills, six total blocks and three service aces, while senior outside hitter Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn. / Valley Regional) posted 32 digs with seven kills and seven aces.
- Collectively, Becker held their opponents to a .108 hitting percentage against.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both matches featured come-from-behind performances by the Hawks. Becker found themselves down two sets to one against Mount Holyoke before storming back in the fourth, taking an 11-3 lead early on and never looking back. In the fifth set, it was again the Hawks jumping out to an early 5-0 lead, ultimately picking up their first win of the season.
- In the late match, the Hawks soon found themselves trailing after the first set. But Becker took control in the second set, going up by as much as 12 and ultimately tying it. Late in the fourth set, BSU pulled to within one at 22-21. But some timely sharp setting by sophomore setter Jenna Savoie (Charlton, Mass. / Shepard Hill) helped Becker close it out, giving them another victory.
The Hawks are back on the court on Thursday when they travel to Fitchburg State for a 6:00 p.m. match against the Falcons.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics