LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker Hawks dropped a pair of non-conference matches on Saturday afternoon in the last tri-match they will host this season. The Hawks fell in straight sets at Leicester Gymnasium to UMass Dartmouth in the opening match and to Fisher College in the final match.
September 21, 2019
Match One Score: UMass Dartmouth 3 – Becker 0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-20)
Match Two Score: UMass Dartmouth 3 – Fisher 0 (25-9, 25-14, 25-10)
Match Three Score: Fisher 3 – Becker 0 (25-23, 25-23, 26-24)
Records: The Becker College Hawks 5-6 | The UMass Dartmouth Corsairs 3-6 | The Fisher College Falcons 2-6
MATCH ONE TOP PERFORMERS & MATCH SUMMARY
- UMD: Senior Nicole Silverman (Chelmsford, Mass.) & junior Alivia Connors (Derry, N.H.) - 10 kills.
- Becker: Freshman Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) – six kills
- UMD: Senior Jillian Sykora (Waterford, Conn.) – eight digs
- Becker: Sophomore Joanna Bampi (Charlton, Mass.) – 15 digs
- Attack Pct.:
- UMD: Connors - .474
- Becker: Junior Emily Peterman (Vancouver, Wash.) - .417
- UMD: Senior Jordan Rittberger (Huntington, N.Y.) – 14 assists
- Becker: Sophomore Jenna Savoie (Charlton, Mass.) – 21 assists
- UMD: Sykora – five aces
- Becker: Bampi & junior Yesenia Aviles (Southbridge, Mass.) – one ace
- The Corsairs made the most of a first set hitting .212 from the floor in their first set victory, 25-15. UMD continued to look strong in the second but Becker nearly came back in the late stages with the help of a 9-3 run to cut the deficit to 21-19. Becker closed to within one, but a Hawks service error closed the set for UMD, 25-23. In the final set, the Corsairs jumped out quickly to a 10-point lead and maintained a safe advantage in the third set win, 25-20.
MATCH TWO TOP PERFORMERS & MATCH SUMMARY
- UMD: Silverman – eight kills
- Fisher: Senior Cynthia Huerta (Salinas, Calif.) – 11 kills
- UMD: Silverman – 14 digs
- Fisher: Junior Lia Aime (Las Pierdas, PR) & freshman Katherine Rodriguez (Fajardo, PR) – seven digs
- Attack Pct. (min. 3 total attacks):
- UMD: Sophomore Emma Aillet (Deer Park, Texas) - .571
- Fisher: Huerta - .171
- UMD: Junior Riley Thomas (Fairhaven, Mass.) – 11 assists
- Fisher: Rodriguez – nine assists
- UMD: Silverman – six aces
- Fisher: Huerta – two aces
- The opening set went to the Corsairs who hit .428 in the opening set on their way to a 25-9 set win. UMD took sets two and three with 10 team kills in each of the sets, including a match-best attack percentage of .529 in the final set as the Corsairs won set two 25-14 and set three 25-10.
MATCH THREE TOP PERFORMERS & MATCH SUMMARY
- Fisher: Huerta – 23 kills
- Becker: Senior Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) – six kills
- Fisher: Rodriguez – 17 digs
- Becker: Cullina – 29 digs
- Attack Pct.:
- Fisher: Freshman Erica Nunez (Dorchester, Mass.) - .455
- Becker: Peterman - .200
- Fisher: Rodriguez – 29 assists
- Becker: Senior Olivia McGuinness (Colchester, Conn.) – 19 assists
- Fisher: Rodriguez – six aces
- Becker: McGuinness – four aces
- In the opening set, the Falcons claimed the first seven points of the match, but the Hawks dug in and came back to tie the set 19-19. A three-point run gave Fisher enough breathing room and Amie finished the set with a kill in the first set win 25-23. In the second set, Becker needed another major comeback to have a chance take the set, but Huerta closed the door in another 25-23 set win for Fisher. In the final set, Becker was the one out to a quick lead but Fisher came back on a 10-0 run to tie the set and eventually took the momentum all the way to a straight-sets win, claiming the third set, 26-24.
Becker finishes off a six-game homestand on Tuesday night as the welcome Rhode Island College to Leicester Gymnasium for a 7:00 p.m. match. UMass Dartmouth heads for Babson on Wednesday night for a 6:30 p.m. match. Fisher plays next on Monday, a 6:00 p.m. match at Curry.