LEICESTER, Mass. – Rhode Island College sophomore Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, Mass.) finished with a career-high 24 kills, leading a comeback for the Anchormen as they defeated the Becker Hawks 3-2 on Tuesday night in a five-set thriller.
September 24, 2019
Score: Rhode Island College 3 - Becker College 2 (25-15, 21-25, 24-26, 25-17, 15-8)
Records: The Becker College Hawks 5-7 | The Rhode Island College Anchormen 3-7
The opening set was controlled by Rhode Island College, who won 13 of the first 15 points of the set. The Hawks produced a 5-0 scoring run late in the set, but the surge came too late for Becker, as the Anchormen took the first set 25-15. Murphy had six of RIC's 14 team kills in the set.
In the second set, Becker flipped the momentum having won eight of the first nine points on their way to leading by as many as 12. RIC nearly got themselves back in the set with a 14-4 run, cutting the deficit to 23-21, but Becker managed to hold off the charge, tying the match at 1-1 following a 25-21 set win.
The third set featured scoring runs early in the set with a 10-1 run for Becker resulting in a 12-7 lead. The sides traded points with no team winning more than two points in a row until RIC strung together four straight points to tie the set late on. Now at 24-24, Hawks sophomore Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) and Cullina came through with a pair of kills, as Becker took the third set 26-24.
Becker and RIC were as close to evenly matched in the fourth set with scoring runs hard to find in the set. Tied at 15-15, the Anchormen closed out the set on a 10-2 run, winning the set 25-17, forcing a decisive fifth set.
In the final set, the Anchormen ran away with 11 of the first 13 points of the set. The Hawks strung together three points but their effort wouldn't be enough as RIC had 11 team kills, hitting .667 from the field in the final set, winning 15-8.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Senior Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) finished with a team-high 10 kills to go with 10 digs for her second double-double of the year.
- Freshman Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) added nine kills and 11 digs.
- Bampi came through with a match-best 24 digs.
- Bampi and Cullina each had four service aces.
FOR THE ANCHORMEN
- Along with her career-high 24 kills, Murphy hit .378 from the floor on the night with four digs and two total blocks.
- Senior Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, R.I.) added 13 kills, hitting a blazing .500, to go with four total blocks.
- Junior Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, Ga.) filled the box score with a match-high five aces while adding 17 digs and nine kills.
- Senior Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, R.I.) finished with a season-high 47 assists.
The Hawks finished their six-game homestand and are now headed for seven straight road games starting with a match on Thursday at Worcester State scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The Anchormen welcome Salem State to the Murray Center on Thursday at 6:00 p.m.